Friday, August 3, 2012

Summer Social

I'm part of a women's volunteer organization called the Junior League of Saint Paul. It is a truly amazing organization, and the women are some of the most remarkable women with noteworthy accomplishments.  My benefit from the organization is two-fold.  It is both a great resume booster since it provides leadership opportunities and roles or responsibility I don't have in my job, and I volunteer to improve my community.    


Needless to say, when they organized their summer social after our last two month hiatus from meetings for the year I jumped at the chance to go.  


The past two years, my involvement in the league has focused on fundraising.  It meant a lot of time management, event planning, and asking people for money.  Our budget operates based on what we can bring in through fundraising and an endowment, so it is a vital component of what sustains us as a non-profit like most 501(c)3 non-profits.  Here's a great group shot from our spring fundraiser!!




This year I'm helping with our community projects committee which means I'm working towards planning our community volunteerism.  Talk about a pat on my back for selflessly or trying to selflessly help others!  Our committee leader is fantastic, and there is such an energy and life in our league that our active membership of 70-ish women really makes an impact.  


I could go on and on about the league.  I would really encourage anyone to become involved in volunteering - small efforts have a large grass roots movement and lasting effect.  Case and Point - The pre-5K vision and hearing testing was started by the Junior League of Saint Paul.  


Women in the Twin Cities that would like more information on Junior League of Saint Paul.  Here is a link to their Facebook page.  The link to their main website it above.  Junior League's are found in other cities, so it may be worth checking out your local chapter as well!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment