Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chicago (Part Two)

I may have been a little carried away with what I've committed to do this summer. Even after being trapped stuck in the car together for 6 hours on the way home from Chicago on Sunday, yesterday's trip to Target prompted Adam to say "I really enjoyed spending this time with you" --- sappy right?  Apparently, I need to focusing my attention on being more available in the next couple of months (I should mention he and I don't have a free weekend until October, normal right?)

And back to the real post....
Sunday was the epitome of an unplanned, leisurely morning. A rarity in my life, so we slowly strolled (like snails) from Starbucks (cannot live without it) to Millennium Park to drink our coffee.  After squatting next to some pigeons (the rats of the air) and enjoying the warm sunlight over the lake (oh, I should mention it was 8:00 am since neither of us knows what it is like to sleep in anymore), we downed our coffee only to realize nothing is open for brunch that early.  

Good news, it was chance to watch Wimbledon!!! AND a even better chance to spot Duchess of  Cambridge and Pippa Middleton along with the Beckham's!!! Talk about a fashion-ista's dream team....after my ooo-ing and aaa-ing over the clothes, the Wimbledon whites, and the awesome match, we made our way off to brunch at Park Grill.

 This egg sandwich was ah-maz-ing!!!  Sadly it wasn't what I ordered, so as I ate my less than exciting, but still delicious chopped salad.  The picture doesn't do this salad justice - it was lightly dressed with a lemon/citrus dressing, with large slices of hard boiled eggs and avocado.  
Back to the egg sandwich: Made on an English muffin, the bottom slice was generously slathered with a bruschetta-like flavored sandwich spread.  Then add arugula and other leafy greens,  cheese, two sunny-side up eggs, and another English Muffin (not pictured).  This sandwich could really challenge the food at Cheeky Monkey, my favorite local dive for all things chili, sandwiches and salads in Saint Paul!


Check them out! Cheeky Monkey Deli




Now, the whole reason for our trip to Chicago was to see the Chicago Fire vs. LA Galaxy soccer game at Toyota Field.  It was a very, very, very nice gift from my parents for my birthday (it's coming up in a few weeks)!!!  The seats were unbelievable - Top Row of the section just north (5 yards or so) of the half line.  It was an unobstructed view of the whole field especially since most of the people sitting in the row in front of us were kids.  (YAHHH!!! for no 6'7" man with a large head issue!!!)



































The fan support is awesome, and it makes seeing the game really exciting! It certainly reinforces my bucket list to see a soccer game in Europe! The waves of people and cheering throughout the game didn't lead to a victory, but it kept the fans on their toes and cheering loudly.  Of course there were the few there to see Beckman (sorry but he was suspended and flew to England)...who may have been a little disappointed at the start of the game.  


I was particularly confused why Donovan didn't start or play any of the first half.  But that didn't stop me from enjoying the game - even Adam remarked about how I was "so into the game".  I've been to countless sporting events with him (football, basketball, baseball), but none of those really hold my attention for the entire game.  I find myself people watching or looking to see if the cheerleaders are able to smile through the whole game despite losing (...remember, we live in MN and MN sports teams aren't great like they are in WI).  By the second half Donovan finally made an appearance!!! I mean who can resist that receding hairline that we couldn't zoom in enough to show you....


Donovan's presence on the field lead to two more goals for LA Galaxy.  Thankfully I'm not a die hard fan for either team, so I was pleased with a competitive game.  The fact that there were a number of goals was just a bonus!!! Chicago Fire certainly held their own, though, and their defense and outside midfielders, particularly, were entertaining to watch.  All in all it was a great weekend!!! Now if only we could figure out how to shorten the drive home...that was brutal but WORTH IT!!!




2 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a really nice break from the Twin Cities - really awesome city!

    ReplyDelete